Thursday, October 28, 2010

Trick or Cake?

It’s October, right? Could have fooled me!
As I sat outside this morning, closing my eyes with the warm sun shining down I could have sworn that it was still August…

DSC05365
even though I could still smell Autumn in the air and hear the rustling of the leaves across the lawn.  Stay with me now, I was having a moment…
Then I opened my eyes and realized that Mother Nature has one sick sense of humor!!!!

DSC05363

Like it or not,  Old Man Winter is knocking at the door! Why not let him in and serve some cake!!!
OK, maybe not the cake you are thinking of but pretty darn close! The other day I came across this recipe on Stacey’s blog  for Maple Cinnamon Rustic Scones.  It only had a few ingredients and looked easy, so I gave them a try with a few variations. Click on the link above to see her recipe.

Here are a few of the ingredients:
DSC05333

Combine the dry ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I added 1/4 cup more)
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
DSC05334

Cut in 2 tbls. butter with a pastry blender until it just starts to resembles course crumbs
DSC05335

Add 1/2 cup milk ( I would have used buttemilk if I had it on hand), 2 tbls. maple syrup and I chose to add some diced apple. Do not over mix!
DSC05337
DSC05338

I chose to toast about a 1/4 cup of pecans and some wheat germ on the stove and added that to 1 tbl. brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon for more of a crunchy topping.  
DSC05336
DSC05339

Divide the dough into four equal portions, place on the sheet pan, shape into whatever shape you desire and top with the pecan mixture. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
Doesn’t this picture remind you of Shake N’ Bake chicken? lol
Trust me, it’s taste MUCH better! 
DSC05340

Mula! Doesn’t it look delicious? Too bad you can’t smell them, mmmm. This one didn’t even make it to the cooling rack, it went right from the oven to the plate for a quick picture, I couldn’t wait to devour it give it a try!
DSC05347

Want a bite?  Who says you can’t have your cake and eat it?!
DSC05353


Thank god it only makes 4.  I almost made them into little cookies, they would have definitely been gone before the kiddos came home! Winking smile

Thank you Stacey for sharing your recipe, I can picture  me making these with the girls on Sunday mornings!

8 comments:

  1. that looks delicious! Thank you for posting - would it be good for breakfast or is it more of a dessert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect day! Great weather and yummy scones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy. Sounds like a great fall treat to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been loving this weather too! Sunshine, warm breezes and yet the smell of autumn's leaves...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Heather The scone would be for breakfast, but it's like having dessert for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not ready for winter yet, but I am ready for one of those scones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do I want a bite? Uh, YEA! Those look awesome!

    It snowed here for the first time a couple of mornings ago! yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh. These do look good! I can see why it would be hard not to eat them all at once! Perfect combo of flavors for Fall (even if it is still warm!).

    ReplyDelete