Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pumpkin Guts N’ Glory

Large round slippery pumpkin + knife carving kit + 2 kids and 1 accident-prone husband = one very nervous mom.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? 
Today we finally helped let the girls carve the pumpkins, something they have been begging  us to do for the entire month…something I have been dreading the entire month.  I’ll take pumpkins guts all over the kitchen any day over a severed finger!
Dad is so thrilled with the guts, a surgeon he is not! I was very proud that not one power tool was pulled out for this project!
DSC05387
A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do!
DSC05389
Miley never turns down an invitation for a taste…
DSC05393
Kailey is giving Miley and Maggie a lesson on how to not let the pumpkin roll off  your lap and stab yourself with a carving tool.
DSC05404
Jordyn is just beaming with pride that mom is letting her do it by herself….
DSC05409
…or not, hey she’s still my baby, she still lets me kiss her goodbye in front of her friends, brush her hair and help pick her clothes out. I’m milking this kid for all she’s worth!  :Winking smile
DSC05411
After an hour of listening to myself repeatedly say, “be careful”, “pay attention to what your doing”, “your head is going to roll” (I’ve always wanted to say that) I have to say that they did a darn good job, they still have all their fingers and my girls really ARE growing up and then it hit my, that can only mean one thing….I’m getting old! Sad smile
DSC05435
DSC05430
DSC05438
Can you see the resemblance?
DSC05442
Now for mom’s treat, roasted pumpkin seeds!!!! I love just plain pumpkins seeds with a little olive oil and salt.
Can you believe no one volunteered to wash the seeds?! 
No guts, no glory!
DSC05394
Boil the seeds in water for 10 minutes after de-gutting.
DSC05408
Pat them dry and coat with 1 tsp of olive oil and salt to your desire.
DSC05428
Roast in a 250 degree oven 1 hour, turning every 15 minutes.
DSC05447
Pop them in your mouth and call it a successful day! De-lish!

‘Night!

3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing. roasted pumpkin seeds were always my favorite part of pumpkin carving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute post! The doggies are sooo cute and the pumpkins turned out great! I would be nervous the whole time too ;) Love roasted pumpkin seeds ... I should make them soon!

    ReplyDelete