Thursday, March 10, 2011

Almost Famous

Hi everyone!

Can you believe this week is over, it flew by for me! :)

One of the things I look forward to on the weekend is trying to squeeze in some quiet time and catch up on my magazines! I love the Food Network magazine, the dishes look amazing and the pictures are beautiful. The section I always turn to first is “Copy That!” where they try and make the perfect imitation of a famous dish from a particular restaurant.

So here is my attempt at two of their recipes that I’ve been holding onto for quite some time! Broccoli Cheddar Soup from Panera Bread and Bread Sticks from Olive Garden.  Click on the links for the original recipe.

Almost Famous Broccoli-Cheddar Soup

IMG_2551

Cook the onions in butter until soft and golden. Add the half n’ half, broth, and seasonings, cook until thickened about 20 minutes. Next add the broccoli and carrots, cook for 20 minutes or until tender.

IMG_2554

Puree the soup until smooth with some chunks of broccoli.

IMG_2556

Add the cheese and whisk until smooth, if you feel the soup is too thick add some water.

IMG_2558

Ladle into bread bowls

IMG_2561

IMG_2567

This soup looked and tasted EXACTLY  like the real thing, even better if I dare say! This was a hit with everyone..did she just eat something green??? Could you blame her, anything swimming in  cheese tastes good!

IMG_2568

Almost Famous Breadsticks

IMG_2589

Combine the yeast and water and let it sit for 5 minutes.

IMG_2591

Once it’s foamy add the flour, butter, sugar, salt and water and mix with the paddle attachment until dough forms into a ball.

IMG_2594

IMG_2601

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2606

IMG_2598

 

 

 

 

 

Take the dough out and knead by hand for 3 minutes, until dough is very soft.

IMG_2614

Roll into two 1 foot long pieces and cut into 16  smaller pieces, knead slightly to soften the dough.

IMG_2620

Roll out each piece into a 7 inch long breadstick, put on parchment lined baking sheet and cover with cloth. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

IMG_2627

Brush dough with melted butter and salt. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.

IMG_2633

Take out of oven and brush with add’l butter and sprinkle with seasoning mix; salt, garlic powder and oregano.

IMG_2638

IMG_2646

IMG_2647

These were really good and did taste like the real thing. I love the combo of garlic powder and oregano!

Have you ever tried to replicate a dish from a restaurant before?

Do you have a favorite food magazine?

7 comments:

  1. Looks good:) I am a new GFC follower, found you from your post on The Product Review Place:)


    Having Fun Blogging
    http://mrsphilipswithonel.blogspot.com/
    havingfunblogging@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so warm and comforting. MMM. My favorite food magazine is Everyday Food. I think I have almost everyone it's ever come out it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these recipes too! I've replicated Gordon Hamersley's roasted chicken and Myers & Chang's pork & chive dumplings and green papaya slaw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to duplicate salad combinations or pizza combinations the most.
    And if you've ever stopped by my blog, you know I'm a die-hard Cooking Light fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bread looks fantastic. I've tried to recreate some things, not trying to do so to the T, but based on the general idea. I can't say I have a fave cooking mag, I get Vegetarian Times regularly, but I wouldn't say it's just an all-time fave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BOTH of those look amazing. I love both Panera and Olive Garden. That's great that they tasted just like what you'd order in the restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That broc-cheddar soup looks amazing, and I really need to try to make those breadsticks!

    ReplyDelete