Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Trail Mix You Don't Want to Miss!!!

Hold on to your taste buds, ladies!!! I have an amazing trail mix recipe that could easily become the new "crack" trail mix...seriously!! I've had this recipe that I found on Food Network for months and just never got around to making it, what was I thinking? My house smells like a combination of a maple barn and Autumn.

by Claire Robinson of Food Network

2 cups baby pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
6 tbls. pure maple syrup
Salt
1 cup dried cherries or cranberries

I switched up the recipe a bit, I didn't have slivered almonds so I just cut up some whole almonds and along with the cherries I added Trader Joe's orange flavored cranberries (yum)! To save a few calories, I didn't add all the syrup, I added just enough to coat everything.



So all you do is mix up the seeds, nuts and maple syrup in a bowl then spread out on a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with a little salt.



Put into a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let the mixture completely cool and then break apart into pieces and add the dried fruit. Don't be alarmed if it sticks to the parchment paper a bit. I must have had a few handfuls while doing this, it's so addicting!!!



 Doesn't it look like a big bowl of crunchy Autumn? This recipe is so versatile, next time I may add some cereals or oats maybe even so spices! It says to store in an air tight container at room temperature...I'm going to have to hide this!!! What if hubby and the girls like it??? Do I REALLY have to share??? :D

13 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!! Stash it away while you can! ha. Probably much less expensive than the little bags of trail mix that are $5+ at the store. I am loving all of the fall stuff on everyone's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love trail mix and I don't know why I've never thought to make it on my own before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid if I made that I'd eat it all at once! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy and easy for fall. I'll have to make it since school is starting and I'll be back to packing lunches/snacks a couple times a week. I love making granola/trail mix/bars because they are so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this looks so yummy! I'm a huge fan of both pumpkin seeds and dried cherries, so I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good! I would love to try this with some oats and pumpkin pie spice...oh that would be a nice thanksgiving gift to family members!! put some in clear bags with fall ribbon, score!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh, I saw Claire whip that up on Food Network. I haven't tried it yet. I'm glad you love it! And no, of course you don't really have to share... Especially if you hide it. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is my kind of trail mix!! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks GREAT! I like to mix cereal into my trail mix to make it a little less calorie dense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks very addicting and very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this recipe! Trail mix doesn't last long in my pantry...maybe a double batch? Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete