A big thanks to everyone for all the nice comments and emails about yesterday’s Challah Bread!
I couldn’t wait to slice it up today!
Today I turned that loaf into some delicious french toast. This is a great dish for a Sunday Brunch, you start it on the stove and let it finish in the oven.
This recipe comes from Rachel Ray’s Crunchy Vanilla-Almond French Toast with Fancy Fruit Topping. I made a few changes and omitted the sauce, but if I were to make this for a brunch I would be sure to add the fruit topping.
Challah Bread French Toast
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup half n’ half
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 1 tbl real maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsps. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsps. cinnamon
- 4 cups whole grain cereal flakes (I used Kashi)
- 1/2 cups almonds, roughly chopped
- 16 slices thick cut challah bread
- Beat the eggs, half n’ half, vanilla, syrup, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Lightly crush the cereal flakes, combine with the almonds and add to another shallow dish.
- Warm a large skillet with cooking spray over medium heat. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture and then the cereal mixture. Cook the slices for 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer slices to a baking sheet and place into a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Serve with syrup.
Makes 16 servings
I love the crunch of the toast along with the nutty flavor that the almonds develop after being cooked! Only way to serve this is with some real maple syrup!