Today is a day that we have been waiting forever for and frankly we didn’t think would ever happen. Keith is finally back to work after many, many long months of unsteady work.
Today’s economy and job market has been very unkind to professional carpenters and the like! We have definitely changed the way we spend money, shop and I have really learned how to stretch a dollar when it comes to the supermarket.
So to celebrate I made one of his favorite sandwiches for dinner tonight! This recipe is adapted from a recipe that was given to me by a friend. One of his favorite sandwiches is a
greasy steak n’ cheese, tonight I tried to lighten that up while still keeping the flavor!
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground beef sirloin (93%)
- 3/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- salt & pepper
- wheat ciabatta loaf
- mozzarella cheese
- provolone cheese
- Cook the onion, garlic, pepper, mushrooms until soft. Add the ground beef, break into small pieces and cook until done. Add the beef broth, tomato paste, s&p and cook on low for 10 minutes, it should thicken up nicely.
- Cut the ciabatta loaf into sandwich size pieces, drizzle with olive oil and place under broil until lightly browned and crispy.
- Place some provolone cheese on bottom half of sandwich, next add the beef mixture, then some mozzarella cheese and finally top it off with some basil leaves. Press sandwich down and grill over low heat for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Yield: 4 sandwiches
This was right up Keith’s alley, it was a huge hit! I’m not a huge red meat fan but I did steal a bite and I loved the hint of provolone and the sweetness of the basil! Did I mention the bread was amazing?! I love ciabatta!!!
Best of all? There are leftovers for his lunch tomorrow!
Hope your week is off to a great start!